This weeks’s goal was to finish cutting all the neutral fabric and to piece 5 large and 9 small blocks. Goal achieved. If my math is correct, I have cut 1317 pieces of fabric to make a lap size quilt. Yikes!
This week marks the start of the Comfort QAL (Quilt-a-long). As soon as I saw this quilt I knew who I was going to make it for. I am not normally a fan of the “scrappy look” but something about this one appealed to me. I hope the recipient will like it too. Week 1 has us cutting all the medium and dark fabrics. I am making the lap quilt so I needed to cut enough fabric to make 79 small and 30 large blocks. Our second goal was to purchase and/or source from our stash all the neutrals that we will need.
Week 1 goal complete. Here are my bright fabrics all cut and ready to go. Quite an eclectic mix of prints and solids (436 pieces).
I’ve even got a head start on next week’s goal since I have already cut up all my neutrals as well (872 pieces).
I did it!!! Only a year late but it is done. We have had such a cold, snowy winter that I had to wait for a milder day to get some pictures. It was definitely a challenge to make some of the 3 inch blocks but I am glad that I did it. Would I do it again….probably not. Now it is just looking for a good home.
I did some custom quilting in the 4 corner blocks and the centre medallion….otherwise I just used a simple e2e design called Deco Vine.
As with all of my quilts, when I sit down in the lazy boy to hand sew on the binding….my cute little fur ball always has to plant herself in the middle of the pile making it more challenging to accomplish my task.
Here are few closeups of some of the blocks:
This quilt took a long time to finish. The 12 multi-coloured blocks were made as part of QuiltEssential Co’s 2015 block of the month program. This colour way was called ‘Bridges of Madison County”.
I knew how I was going to design the quilt top long before the 12 blocks were even finished. My inspiration for the quilting came from some of the designs in the 12 blocks. I wish I had kept track of how long it took me to do the longarm work because it was substantial. I am really happy with the finished product.
Close up of the centre medallion and some of the long arm work:
I like using pieced backings on my quilts. I think it makes for a more attractive back that gives you the option to flip it over so you have two quilts in one.
Filed under BOM, Quilting
I did it! I managed to finish piecing all 365 blocks….just a year late. I have even finished sewing them altogether and have the top on the longarm working on the fun part. My original goal was to finish all the blocks by year end…now I have revised it to have it quilted and bound by year end. Fingers crossed!
We are so thrilled to announce the arrival of our first grand child. We travelled to their home town on July 5th, two days before the official due date. Unfortunately the baby decided that it didn’t want to make an appearance on the scheduled date. As each day went by we got more and more nervous that it wouldn’t be born before our scheduled departure date of July 15th. I guess the baby decided that it was worth meeting us after all. Cameron James was born at 4:45am on Thursday, July 14th. He was 7lbs 12 ounces and 20.5 inches long. Mom, Dad and Cameron are all doing well and adjusting to life as a family.
Here is a picture of Cameron before they even weighed/measured him.
And of course proud Grandma and Grandpa with Cameron:
36 hours old after his first home bath.
And a few pictures of the nursery with the quilt, pillow, window treatment and crib skirt that I made.