This fall our quilt guild, Edmonton Modern Quilt Guild, started a block of the month program (BOM). The pattern is called Fan Faire by Krista Moser and it uses a 60 degree diamond ruler. Each month we will have some cutting and piecing to do until we have a finished quilt top in the spring. I was away for the October meeting so I am trying to get caught up before we get our next batch of instructions. I just bought a bunch of O’Canada fabric so I thought I would make another donation for Quilts of Valour.
Here are the fabrics I’ve pulled so far (not the blue on the bottom of the stack). Don’t know if I have enough variation yet. I’m also not sure if I will use all of them or if I will have to do me a little fabric retail therapy.
It took me about 4 hours just to cut all the strips for the background and then sub-cut them into hexagons, triangles, trapezoids, half hexagons. Then I had to make 6 strip sets so that I could cut and piece the chevron diamonds for the middle of the quilt. I am officially up-to-date.
At our October guild meeting I found out that we are making baby quilts for Our Lady of Grace. I have started piecing HSTs together. I would like to finish my donation quilt as my November goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes.
Although I enjoyed participating in the Block of the Month programs in 2011 and 2012, I found the finished blocks too traditional and uninspiring. The more time I spend on Pinterest the more I realize that I am drawn to modern quilts. I love all the colours, the large neutral backgrounds and the freedom you have to create something different. I stumbled upon the Modern Quilt Guild movement and discovered that we had one in Edmonton. I went to a meeting in December and was hooked.
The husband of one of the Guild members travels regularly to Africa and got involved with a Orphanage in Ghana. Our Guild decided to make quilts for the children so that they would have something to call their own. I bought a brightly coloured jelly roll made up of polka-dot prints. I thought they would be perfect for a child and could be used for either a boy or a girl. I made these 30 blocks for the project. They will be combined with blocks made by other guild members and we will produce as many quilts as we can.